1. At that time the Emperor Augustus ordered a census of the Roman Empire. 2. This was the first census taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria. 3. All the people went to register in the cities where their ancestors had lived. 4. So Joseph went from Nazareth, a city in Galilee, to a Judean city called Bethlehem. Joseph, a descendant of King David, went to Bethlehem because David had been born there. 5. Joseph went there to register with Mary. She had been promised to him in marriage and was pregnant. 6. While they were in Bethlehem, the time came for Mary to have her child. 7. She gave birth to her firstborn son. She wrapped him in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger because there wasn’t any room for them in the inn. (God’s Word translation; I’m re-visiting GW after getting some review copies from Baker Books recently; I’ll post more about GW in the future; for now, notice how nicely the English flows in this Christmas narrative)
Have you got a question about Bible translation?
Have you discovered an interesting story on the Internet about Bible translation?
Share it with us by clicking on "Share" at the top of this page.
Blog posts and comments should focus on Bible translation issues, not theology, or personalities.
1. Support claims with evidence.
2. Do not question anyone's intelligence, spirituality or motives; NO PERSONAL ATTACKS!
3. Do not tell someone what they believe. Instead, ask them.
4. Avoid sarcasm.
5. Comments should be concise and relate directly to post content.
Comments which do not follow the guidelines may be edited or deleted.
Commenting on this blog is a privilege. Decisions by the BBB owners are final.
Non-translation comments can be posted to BBB+.
- irishanglican ~ Fr. Robert on ESV revisions
- Fred Watt on theopneustos or theo pneustos?
- Jim Blankenship on “Farewell NIV”?
- tomebeka on Joy & Happiness
- uche on Psalm 91:3 What is a fowler?
- Vincent La Marca on The best-selling artist of all time
- Robin Brady on Joy & Happiness
- Iver Larsen on Philippians 2:6-7
- Scott Sherrell on Philippians 2:6-7
- Wayne Leman on Free NIV for YouVersion on iPhone and Android