GNT (Good News Translation; TEV)

from Zondervan, the current publishers of the Good News Translation, produced by the American Bible Societry, which has also been known as Today’s English Version and the Good News Bible, as well as Good News for Modern Man:
“The Good News Translation is:
· A true translation, meaning it was actually translated from the Greek and Hebrew languages in which the Bible was originally written.
· Accurate and reliable.
· Easy to understand—even if you’ve never read the Bible before.”

Access U.S. GNT online
Access U.K. GNB online

Categories: , ,

1. Wayne Leman
    Posted April 12, 2005 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

James 5:18 “the sky poured out its rain”

Unnatural: I don’t think any fluent English speaker would ever say or write this for the meaning that “it rained.”

2. Wayne Leman
    Posted April 12, 2005 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

1 John 2:17 “if you do the will of God”

Collocational clash: It is not appropriate in English to speak of “doing the will” of someone. Instead, we would say something like “I did what he wanted.”

3. Wayne Leman
    Posted April 12, 2005 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

1 John 3:17 “close our hearts against them”

Collocational clash: It is not natural English to speak of closing your heart “against” someone. It is slightly better English to speak of closing your heart “to” someone, but even this collocation of “close heart to” is rather unnatural.

4. Wayne Leman
    Posted April 13, 2005 at 4:00 am | Permalink

Heb. 11:13 “It was in faith that all these persons died.”

To my ears “in faith” is not a natural way of saying what the condition of these people was when they died. The GNT here literally retains the form of the Greek dative preposition ‘en’, translating it with the English preposition “in.” But I don’t think “in faith” is a natural way of writing or speaking English. This is how this phrase strikes me; ultimately, field testing needs to be done to determine if and how well the intended meaning is understood by those who use this translation.

5. Wayne Leman
    Posted April 16, 2005 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Ps. 119:105 see comment under HCSB

6. Wayne Leman
    Posted April 18, 2005 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Eph. 4:15 “Instead, by speaking the truth in a spirit of love, we must grow up in every way to Christ, who is the head.”

See comment under NET.

7. Wayne Leman
    Posted November 21, 2006 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Matt. 6:7 “When you pray, do not use a lot of meaningless words, as the pagans do, who think that their gods will hear them because their prayers are long.”

The wording “a lot of meaningless words” appears to be inaccurate. The biblical text actually refers to meaningless repetition. The words repeated may be meaningful, but the repetition of them may become a meaningless act.

8. Jeremy
    Posted June 30, 2007 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

These comments seem very trivial to me, also, the way in which older language is situated obviously wouldn’t line up to be proper english – even when transalted. It just seems to be nit-pick to me… but then what do I know…

9. Jeremy
    Posted June 30, 2007 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Oh great, and I misspell words too, so I’m sorry for my own ignorance as well >.<

10. Jeremy
    Posted June 30, 2007 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

“the sky poured out its rain”
    Is more correct to me because it helps to remind us the sky is a thing that issued the action of raining, “it rained” is not the same text, and it disregards the personification of the sky itself. The sky is what poured out the rain – to me it is an entirely different statement that ‘it rained’ and for good reason. Changing it to ‘it rained’ might seem more like modern english, but it would change the meaning and I don’t believe it should be changed.

11. Wayne Leman
    Posted June 2, 2008 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Rom. 11:16 “It is just like this, if you give the first lump of bread dough to God, then the whole bread will be his. And if you give the roots of a tree to God then the branches are his too.”

I don’t think either conclusion follows logically in English. I suggest, therefore, that it is less accurate to translate the concept of “holy” with “give (something) to God” than to use the word “holy” itself or a more appropriate synonym.

12. Posted April 1, 2009 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Deut. 4:19 “The LORD your God has given these to all other peoples for them to worship.”

It seems to me that both the GNT and its successor, CEV, inappropriately add that the celestial bodies are given by God for people to worship.

13. Doug Warkentin
    Posted December 4, 2012 at 1:12 am | Permalink

Rom 3:23 everyone has sinned and is far away from God’s saving presence.

What is “God’s saving presence”? Jesus says that the Kingdom is near us not far away. Even the Old Testament taught this (Psalm 34:18). I believe the ISV has it much better including the continuous tense used in the Greek, “since all have sinned and continue to fall short of God’s glory.”